2014 Mixed Fruit CSA (closed for 2014)
What is Community Supported Agriculture (CSA)? CSA brings together community members, farmers, and agricultural land in a relationship based on an annual commitment to one another.
Here, at McDougal Orchards, CSA means that you (the community member) pay us (the farmers) a share of the costs associated with growing this year's crop prior to the growing season. In return, we share with you the best we have to offer: a continuous weekly supply of fresh, locally grown, fruit picked at the peak of flavor, from early-August through October.
We currently have 24 varieties of apples, 5 varieties of nectarines, 6 varieties of peaches, 4 varieties of plums and 2 varieties of pears.
In August and September the share will contain a possible mixture of peaches, nectarines, plums, pears and apples. Starting in October the share will most likely consist of apples only, as the stone fruit and pears will have gone by or are picked out.
We reserve the right to limit the amount of shares we sell. No shares will be sold after we open for the season.
Apples, Peaches, Nectarines, Plums and/or Pears. Each week we will choose the most flavorful fruits to go into your share.
For 2014 we have two different sizes of shares.
Full Share - a 1/2 peck bag which is around 5 pounds of fruit.
$120 per share if paid in full before June 1st or $140 after June 1st.
1/2 Share - a 1/4 peck bag which is around 2.5 pounds of fruit.
$65 per 1/2 share if paid in full before June 1st or $75 after June 1st.
Share pick up - your choice.
- Every Friday your share will be ready for pick up at the farm after 10:00am OR
- You can pick it up on Saturdays at the Sanford Farmers' Market, Central Park, 8:00am to Noon.
Each share member will receive a card that will get them a 10% discount on any extra fruit (hand picked or PYO), donuts or cider at the orchard only.
- No shares will be sold after we open for the season.
- We reserve the right to limit the amount of shares we sell.
- If you are paying full price payment is due in full at the first pick up date.
- The Share Program will run for 12 weeks.
- Tentative dates early/mid August through the end of October.
We'll remind you each week via the CSA E-Newsletter including what fruits you will find in your bag. If you cannot make a pick up time, we ask that you make other arrangements with us in advance. Monday morning any remaining shares will be donated to a local food pantry.
The success (or failure) of our crop hinges on the weather. Frost, hail, dry or wet conditions are a few of the weather events than can affect the out come of the crop. Weather related events are beyond our control.
We will notify you in advance if anything affects our crops. We will make an effort to fulfill your share even in the case of a crop failure. Keep in mind that we may not be able to purchase certain fruits at reasonable rates from local farmers.
I have set up a Google Docs form for you to fill out if you want to purchase a Mixed Fruit Share. Once we receive payment your share is locked in. We reserve the right to limit shares. We want to make sure that all of our customers have access to our stone fruits.
What we offer
- Pick Your Own
- Apples, Pears, Raspberries and Flowers
- In Our Store
- Apples, Tomatoes, Cucumbers and other vegetables
- Honey Bee Mine and local Honey
- Apple Gate Deer Farm Venison
- Twin Maples Farm Maple Syrup
- Cider (around Labor Day)
- Capt Jack's Cider Donuts
- Dried Flowers
- Pumpkins and gourds
- Indian Corn, Corn Stalks and Hay Bales
- Pick, pack and ship a healthy gift of fruit! Or, let us do it for you!
- Ship donuts to a loved one or a friend
- Things to do
- Farm Animal display area, Fairy Village, Corn Maze and picnic areas
- Miles of trails for hiking
- Hay Rides (Labor Day - Columbus Day, weekends and Holidays, 10am-4pm, weather permitting)
- Capt Jacks Donut Shack (open Labor Day weekend, weekends and Holidays)
- School groups and organizations or have a Birthday Party with us
- Geocaches on the property (outside the orchards)